Dark Guards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Guards

Welcome to the home of The Dark Guards. Pray you come out alive!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Really simple plain beef curry

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trovan
Healer Extraordinaire
Trovan

Really simple plain beef curry Empty
PostSubject: Really simple plain beef curry   Really simple plain beef curry Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 am

From Dis:

Shadow, this is one pot cooking at it's finest and is really easy, not the best curry recepie I have but simple and no spice, so you will enjoy it (I think).
Note: 2nd pot needed it you want rice with it (basmaiti is best), I personally like pita or that crispy indian bread and kinda scoop/eat method.

Between 1 - 2 pounds of lean beef. I like rump roast but steaks work well. Really any beef you can cut into 2 - 3 cm cubes (depending on preference one bit or two)

3 large white potatos (thin skin as I don't bother pealing them) about 2/3 the quanity of beef - adjustable according to preferences. Chopped into small cubes for single bites/fast cooking about 1.5 - 2 cm.

1 one large sweet onion, 3 cloves of garlic minced

1 large can of chopped stewed tomatos - do not drain as you will need the liquid

1 can of coconut milk. If perfered you can use heavy cream but you will be loosing some of the nice layer of flavour from the coconut milk.

Vegitable option (usually just go with one to keep it simple).
I like small button mushrooms 2 dozen of so, left whole.
Other options I have used - frozen peas, fresh baby carrots (halfed), asapargus chopped into 4 cm bits.
Really any small veg will work, go with what you like.

Seasoning needed : salt, fresh cracked peper, MrGouda's Preium Curry power (has no heat spice to it) any yellow curry power will do just ask at the counter if it has heat in it or not, I am a big fresh herb fan so I add cilantro to it but completely optional, corn starch and werstershire(sp) sause.

Note: most curry pastes do tend to have a fair bit of heat/spice to them. Yellow curry power tends not to have it.
Prep:

Cube the meat, "fat" sliver slice the onion, mince the garlic.
Add meat onions and garlic to a hot pot with a little oil in it. Brown meat and soften onions at the same time, add werstershire at this time and a little peper. Do not worry about cooking meat right through, just till the onions start to go clear then set contents of pot aside.

Empty can of tomatos (juice and all) to pot. Add potatos, now the tomatos and liquid will not be enough to cover the potatos, salt now. Add a little bit of water to not quite cover the potatos but to get the water most of the way up. Remember you are not draining so the less water the better - just enough so you can cook the potatos. Cover and leave alone.

Once the potatos have started to soften but are not cooked readd the meat/onions add your vegitable (mushrooms) add your coconut milk or heavy cream. Add the yellow curry power (start with 3 heaping tablesthingys) and more werstershire sauce. Gentally combine, liquid should be thin and a brown/yellow and smell of curry. Cover, stiring only on occasion for 15 more mins.

Uncover and thicken as desired (with corn starch) - note - do not add it directly to pot - scoup out some of the liquid from the pot into a coffie cup add corn startch to that combine till no lumps and gentally readd to pot.
Stir in, cook uncovered for 5 - 10 mins, let stand for 10 mins and serve.
Back to top Go down

Really simple plain beef curry
Page 1 of 1